Saturday 20 September 2008

Mr Sociable

It won't come as a surprise to many people to find that me staying in hostels is making me talk to people, and that once I get them talking we find that we can talk about just about anything.

Bern is a quiet little sleepy and laid back capital city where nothing much happens during the weekend, which a lot of the guests here in the hostel have found out, like the Irish couple who were sharing the single bunk and the pair of Aussie girls who are off to Italy tomorrow { fancy that, more Australians, lol }. We are all feeling as cooped up as each other and I found out that we even share the same taste in movies as my 8pm movie choice was the same as their choice last night, so of course we switched to another film that none of us have watched.

After the film, at about 11pm, I was just surfing away on my laptop when a Canadian asked me where there was any place to buy some large batteries, and cutting a long story short I ended up lending her my power adapter so that she could use her $7000 anti- smoking device on her son in law. She was awfully grateful and even offered to leave some form of ID with me, but over such a small matter I really couldn't really ask or accept anything.

After that I was about to go back to my typing when one of the girls who runs the hostel asked me about my typing and soon after we were chatting like old friends and she easily agreed to complete my mini questionnaire tomorrow after she finished her shift as she was just about to go clubbing with her sister right now.

I knew that travelling would be good for me meeting people but this could also be a great chance to get some background info on JJ as the girl here is a real Swiss who also speaks perfect English, has visited Chur and even helped me learn to pronounce it more correctly.

I really think that this trip is the right thing for me to be doing now, and meeting the people is just as important and valuable as taking photos of the places.

No comments:

Post a Comment