Sunday 21 September 2008

All change in Bern

As it is so many times with staying in Hostels, a new day beings a whole new bunch of faces as the old ones move out.

The Australian girls have left for northern Italy, the Irish couple are leaving a day ahead of me to Geneva and then on to Barcelona before flying home and although they were not actually staying in my dorm the friendly Canadians from British Colombia are heading off back home too.

The French speaking lass with her father, or maybe uncle, are doing a bit of a switcheroo as they were sleeping in separate rooms for the past two days but today he moved in to our dorm so that they could be together.

The funny this is that Sunday is such a mellow and mellow day in Switzerland, more so than in most countries, and so why so many people have chose today to try and make it out of the city and go places is unusual, but then perhaps it makes sense as it is so dead that there is nothing left to do except the very basics, eat, sleep, sex, etc. Even the locals joke that the city is so very laid back that if it was any more so it would be horizontal.

Before they left I got chatting to the young Dublin couple who have been travelling since January just around Europe, and who managed to stay in Hungary for about three months. The saved up a bit but much of the time they ended up finding work actually in the hostels that they were staying in, as well as offering to do the obvious bar work and if they wanted to they were even offered to teach English abroad, despite having no proper English qualifications in teaching.

It is true that every traveler that I have met, thus far, has got a few stories to tell, enjoys talking to people, seem very relaxed and are easy going people, and again it makes me think about what I want to do after I get back to the UK should the writing not take off.

I know that I do not want to go back to my old job of being an accountant, although I feel that that would be very easy to do, and I have long ago considered building / owning or running a hostel somewhere in a warm country. As I am going to interview the girl who works for this hostel tonight, I think I will ask her for the pro's and con's of doing so and see how that idea shapes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment