Saturday 20 September 2008

Holy Exploding Luggage Batman

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't help it as the timing was just so spot on, really it was .... just read on and it will all become clear.

As is one of my favourite pass times, especially in foreign cities, I went to the late night showing of the "Batman : The Dark Knight" which is just great and although Gary Oldman does a wonderful job, as does Christian Bale I still say that they are both upstaged by the superb Heath Ledger.

There are about 20 mini cinemas in the near vicinity of central Bern, and each of them seems to have one or possibly two screens and each can seat around 300, that are widely spaced apart that you have no problems knocking into knees to find your seat and the person in front would have to have the largest hat in the universe, or be about 8 foot tall, for it to intrude in your viewing pleasure.

However the Swiss themselves like to ruin the movies themselves as I could not get over the amount of background talking and noise all the way through the film, the loudest I have ever noticed from a mature audience { well mature in age if not manners }.

What was almost as bad is that they threw in a 15 minute intermission, during a high tempo fight scene no less, which totally killed the atmosphere and also as I was so tired and bored by the time it restarted I momentarily lost track of what was going on in the film.

After the film, and emboldened by my recent experience of visitng Sexual Spartacus in Vienna { and of a desire to find something truly exciting to do and write about } I decided to go take in a live Cabaret show with dancing girls. Live Cabaret Show on a Friday night in Bern ... 'Whata Mistaka Ta Makea!'.



No, I didn't get mugged, or ripped off, or ended up drunk in an alley ... or even get offered a private dance, no, it was one of the most anti-climatic moments in my entire life.

It was after 11pm, I geed myself all up to go in {slightly wondering why there was no bouncer or scantily clad women at the door beckoning in punters from off the street but I took this to be a good sign as that always puts me off anyway} opened the glass door underneath the pink neon sign and slowly descended down a spiral staircase.

Descended and descended only to get to the bottom of a staircase that opened out into an empty club, and when I mean empty I don't just mean that there was no boozed up marks or that there was only a few dancing girls touting their wears I mean it was as empty as the frikkin Marie Celest.

Pink semi secluded booths with leather sofa's and dancing pole with mirrors be damned, I didn't see anyone no matter which way I looked, and so I just gave it up as a lost cause and ascended back up the winding stairs again and feeling more than a little deflated, walked the 5 minutes back to my hostel.

Back at the hostel there seemed to be a nightclub underneath the place, so much so that in the main reception they actually have a wicker basket full of ear plugs to take with you as you go on up to your room to sleep.

However with my excitement gauge bruised and never being one for loud base pumping night clubs at the best of times, alone and tired i just didn't feel up to it and so I headed on up to my room to grab some kip.

Adding to last nights frustration, during the train ride over from Zurich to Bern it would appear that my suntan lotion bottle decided to explode inside my wash bag and thus when I woke this morning to freshen up I had instead to clean up and leave out to dry all my smellies.

Slightly more amusing though, I also noticed that on the lower bunk next to mine was a nice young couple all snuggled up to each other, and considering the size of the single bunks that was impressive by itself and also went a long way to why they were both partially exposed from underneath the cover.

All in all I do not feel that Bern is the liveliest place to be out and about 'avin it large' after dark, although it still had its fair share of midnight revellers, but for me that only adds to its charm, as I have also not felt this safe as I did back in my little historic town of Alcala de Henares in Spain, and certainly I felt safer than either in London or my home town of Gillingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment