Sunday 21 September 2008

Already almost Dickon R.I.P.

I am a realist. I long ago formed the belief that life has something quite special planned for me, I really do, and everything I do between now and then is just for fun.

Call it fate, destiny or just bad timing but tonight I almost died and it was what has to be one of the most stupidest circumstances ever.

There were no guns, no drugs, no violence, no high buildings, no deep water, no obvious threat from any source and it was only indoors and at about 7pm so it wasn't even late outside. This will be a little out of sequence as I haven't shown you any photos or explained the rest of the day, but I want to get this down and out of the way as soon as possible.

I decided that I wanted to go and watch a movie once I had arrived in Geneva, which is something I almost always do, and also I almost always like to buy some little Haribo sweets and a coke. Sadly the coke on offer was virgin diet coke which tasted foul and watered down, but there you go.

Being only 4pm the only thing on that I wanted to watch till much later was Kung Fu Panda, a martial arts animated film, but here in Geneva they showed it dubbed into French without any subtitles.

After the film ended it was still early and so I decided to take in another movie, this time an action movie, the new Nichlas Cage flick 'Bangkok Dangerous', and it was still in its original English, only subtitled into French and German - which sort of ruined it a bit as there was so many subtitles at the bottom that you lose half the movie.

Anyway, it was shown in the same screen as the film before it, which happened to be the Kung Fu Panda that I had just watched. Anyway, with my luck rubbing off the projectionist got all mucked up and started to play the wrong film, being KFP yet again, much to the confusion to the audience. After I spotted a few getting up, I thought maybe I had got the wrong screen or perhaps they had switched it so I got up to leave and just about reached the exit when a local informed us all that the projectionist got it wrong and is about to correct his mistake, but in that time someone had stole my seat so I sat the net row down, so as to sit right in the middle of the cinema and I had the whole row to myself.

Thinking about how silly it was I started to laugh just as I had stuck a small, seemingly innocent jelly bear in my mouth .... and then I coughed ... and then I choked .... and then I almost past out and died.

So it was that with lots of comings and goings as my first and only noise was a cough, as it was in the dark, as I had chose a row of seats all to myself and as all the other cinema goers all speak a different language, once the room began to spin and all I could do was cough and cough I was very much afraid that I was about to die right then and there the victim of half a lodged gummy bear in a Swiss cinema, watching a Chinese style martial arts film dubbed into French!

Thankfully I managed to cough it up with almost my last effort as I was seriously losing it and about to fall to my knees, but it once again convinced me to live my life to the fullest as no matter how safe or dangerous I chose to live my life when my number is finally up it will be up and there is nothing I or anyone else will be able to do about it.

It also continued a long list of near misses where I could have died a ridiculously stupid death, making me believe even more than when I do I am glad that I will already be dead or else I would probably die of embarrassment as to how it finally happens.

By the by, I liked both films a lot, although I could see the ending of the second film a way off and it was a shame that they played it so dark and dirty as I would have liked to have seen more of Bangkok.

Have a nice life, be good to your friends and family but remember that no matter how safe you live your life accidents will always happen and as you can never protect against everything so you mustn't let that prevent you from living your life to the fullest.

1 comment:

  1. So I take it you haven't done the full 4 dy first aid course, where you learn how to do the heimlich manouver on yourself (ie throw your belly against the back of a chair so it winds you and you spit out what ever is choking you). Oh well, no more solids for you then.

    ReplyDelete