Saturday 18 April 2009

Touchdown Gatwick, UK and a welcome home reception

I was still a little groggy when I boarded the flight home, so did my best to use my floppy hat to shade my eyes and get a little more shut eye, although at the same time this was my first time flying British Airways and I didnt want to completely miss the experience.

Having said that there was nothing exceptional about the flight or the food and so in the end I did just slide the window shutter down and drift off for a quick cat nap before I was being nudged awake to yet again raise the window shutter as we were all due to come in to land.

Arriving at Gatwick I noticed that we seemed to have landed at the further point from the luggage collectoin point and it was quite a little jaunt up and down stairs, esculators and travellators before I finally rounded the bend and got to breaze through passport control.

I took a slight detour to grab some fliers and change up some money and thankfully my rucksack was one of the first out and so in no time at all I was repacking all my bag up for the very last time and walking through nothing to declare to where the main arrivals lounge exit was located.

Even though I had done my best to arrange a mini gathering for my return it was still a slight surprise and great relief to round the corner and instantly spot a small crowd of my family and friends all standing together with little signs saying "welcome home captain caveman".

For once my brain was not on form and I didnt think to get my camera out and capture the moment, but luckily my sister was better prepared and did us all proud by snapping away.

As it was still early and the BA breakfast was nothing much to brag about I managed to convince them to take me to the nearest cafe and buy me a slap up plate of honest to god english grub, which tasted soo good that I could easily have finished off two platefulls, while at the same time trying to savour each and every morsel.

After gorging myself to burst we all trundled out and after another round of hugs and hand shakes where I promised to pop over to my friends soon, I gratefully accepted the list home with my sister and was whisked away back to Gillingham where a houseful of eager relatives were all waiting to welcome me home and at the same time avoid being overwhelmed by the thousands of holiday photos that I have been taking.

True, it might not have been all of the exended family, but this was in some ways a relief as there are few houses and even few occasions big enough these days that can accomodate all of us, and what it did mean was that I got to have proper conversations with those that were around instead of trying to split myself into many me's in order to see everyone at once before they all had to get back to their other plans for the weekend.

My sister had printed off a number of my better photo snaps and blown them up to full A4 size before sticking them around the front room which looked awesome, and then to have a nice glass of cool milk, a slice of homemade fruitcake and then strum around of guitar heros for a bit of a giggle and I had no doubt that I was home, that I was happy and that despite travelling being an amazing experience some times you just cant beat spending a little quality time around your nearest and dearest.

For the first time in a long time I was able to just enjoy the moment without having to rubberneck 360, and for the moment at least push to the back of my mind that very soon I would have a mountain of photos to sort out, paperwork and bills to sort through plus the very unwelcome hassle of once again becoming one of the UK's unemployed and in dire need of searching for a new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment